U-Pass: Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links:

Jump To:


I missed the U-Pass distribution dates. How do I get my U-Pass?

You may visit the Blue Demon Card Office on the same campus as your college office to pick up your U-Pass. There may be a pre-printed U-Pass for you in the ID Services Offices depending on when you registered. If the ID service office does not have a preprinted U-Pass for you then they will submit a request for a new U-pass.

Eligible students are responsible for picking up their U-Passes in person or requesting that they want their U-Pass mailed to them. The ID Services Office can mail your U-Pass to your mailing address in Campus Connect. Be sure to verify that your mailing address is up-to-date and then complete the U-Pass Mailing Request

How will I be charged?

DePaul students who meet the eligibility requirements based on course registration will be charged a quarterly U-Pass Fee on their tuition account. A CTA fee can be removed ONLY when a student’s eligibility has changed on or before the last day to drop courses. Any student meeting the requirements will be charged the fee automatically on their student tuition bill. This helps defray CTA’s costs for offering the program. If the U-Pass is not picked up, the U-Pass fee will remain on the student’s account.

Eligible students who do not need the U-Pass for the Winter term can opt out of the U-Pass by completing the U-Pass OPT Out. Eligible students must complete the form by April 12, 2024. Students who do not complete the opt-out form prior to the deadline will be charged the U-Pass fee regardless of use. Credits for the U-Pass fee will be issued by April 19, 2024. 

My U-Pass stopped working suddenly. What do I do?

If you are receiving the Insufficient Funds message, it usually is due to the card being used in the same location more than once within 15 minutes (i.e., double-tapping), or using the card when you are not eligible for the U-Pass. This causes the CTA to think that you are bringing on an additional passenger and it will charge you the fare. You will need to pay the balance on your U-Pass before it starts working again. You can pay the balance by registering your U-Pass on either the Ventra App or at www.VentraChicago.com. You can also use one of the station Kiosks. 

Check to see if you are eligible for a U-Pass and remember that waitlist classes do not count towards eligibility. If you do meet the eligibility requirements and your U-Pass has stopped working, please contact upass@depaul.edu.

I just registered for classes. Why doesn't my U-Pass work?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to link DePaul's enrollment system to the Ventra system directly. This means it can take 3-10 business days for Ventra to process the change and activate your card.

Who should I contact with questions or concerns?

If you have questions or comments concerning your U-Pass, you may send an email to upass@depaul.edu.

If my U-Pass was active last quarter, do I need a new U-Pass for the upcoming quarter?

No, your new Ventra U-Pass is good until the expiration date listed on the back of your card. You do not need to pick up a new U-Pass each quarter. Your U-Pass will be active during the quarter if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

I went to DePaul for my undergraduate degree, now I am back for a master's degree. Do I get a new U-Pass?

If your previous U-Pass has not expired, then you will have to use that U-Pass. If you have lost that U-Pass you will have to purchase a replacement U-Pass.

What if my U-Pass is lost, stolen, damaged or defective?

Please visit the ID Services office on the same campus as your college office to report your U-Pass lost or stolen and to request a new U-Pass. Please bring your valid DePaul Student ID with you. There is a nonrefundable $50 replacement fee (to be paid via Demon Express). Please be sure to contact ID Services or email upass@depaul.edu if place money into Demon Express. 

Damaged or defective cards must be tested by Ventra at their Customer Service Center at 567 W. Lake Street, 2nd floor, Chicago, IL, and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST. Students with damaged cards must go to the Ventra Customer Service Center to have their card deemed damaged to avoid paying the full $50 replacement fee. When a student has their card deemed damaged by Ventra, they receive a 7 day pass from Ventra, along with a letter that they must bring back to the Blue Demon Card Office. It is only with this letter that we are allowed to order a damaged card at no cost. Students are not given a 7 day pass at the ID Card Office for damaged cards, they are given the 7 day pass at the Ventra Customer Service Center.

Can I use my U-Pass between school terms?

The U-Pass is not available between school terms, with the exception of Spring Break. However, students can use their U-Pass cards as full fare cards by adding funds to their Transit Account either through the Ventra App or by using a Kiosk at any CTA station. 

How often can I use my U-Pass per day? 

Students can use the U-Pass as often as they want (the U-Pass cannot be used at the same station or on the same bus line for 10-15 minutes). The U-Pass allows you unlimited rides on the CTA, anytime, anywhere, for any reason. 

Can I share my U-Pass?

The Ventra U-Pass card is limited to exclusive use by the full-time student whose name and photo appear on the card. Any Ventra U-Pass card presented by a person other than the student whose name and photo appear on it will be confiscated, and the person may be subject to arrest.

However, enrolled Students may pay for multiple riders using the U-Pass card by loading value into their Transit Account. In order to use this function, the Enrolled Student must add transit value to their Transit Account to cover the multiple riders. The first ride will be charged to the Enrolled Student’s U-Pass if used during the School Term and to his or her Transit Account if used during breaks in the School Term (with the exception of spring break), and any subsequent rides taken at that time will be charged to his or her Transit Account as a regular CTA full fare. An Enrolled Student’s failure to add the proper transit value to cover the multiple riders may result in a Negative Balance in his or her Transit Account. A Negative Balance may result in suspension of the Enrolled Student’s U-Pass Entitlement. In such an instance, that student must deposit sufficient transit value into his/her Transit Account to return their account to a positive balance, and the U-Pass Entitlement may be reactivated.

I drive - does the U-Pass have any benefits for me?

The U-Pass gives you an opportunity to get out of your car and:

Where can I get directions?

Get up to the minute train and bus schedules by downloading the Ventra App, which is available on the APP Store and Google Play. Get travel information and directions by calling the RTA Travel Center at 836-7000 from any area code (TTY: 312-836-4949). Operators are available daily from 5 am - 1:00 am. They can also send you a CTA System Map, Downtown Sightseeing Guide, or schedules. CTA Maps and Downtown Sightseeing Guides are also available at CTA train stations. 

What if I have a preferred name on file?

If you choose to have a preferred name on file, your U-Pass will be printed with the preferred name, instead of your legal first name. If your U-Pass was printed before you put a preferred name on file, you will have to have a new U-Pass printed. It's important that your DePaul ID and your U-Pass have the same name on them. For more information on fees associated with name changes, please visit the ID Card Office.

Can I use My U-Pass on Pace and Metra?

The unlimited rides pass on your U-Pass only covers CTA buses and trains. Currently, there is not an additional pass for METRA trains. Students can add additional money onto their U-Pass by using the Ventra App to purchase Metra tickets.

U-Pass eligible students that use PACE buses can purchase Campus Connection pass that allows unlimited rides on PACE buses. The Campus Connection pass is purchased directly from PACE, more information can be  https://www.pacebus.com/campus-connection.