E-Fax: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I add new employees to the E-Fax service?
When a new employee is hired, they receive an email address from DePaul (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If your department is using a shared email account to send/receive emails, the resource email account manager in your department can add a new user, using the instructions in the document attached to this article.
- If you need a new user granted permission to send E-Faxes directly from their main DePaul email address, rather than a shared resource account, please open a service request through the DePaul Service Now Portal
Will my current fax number change?
While you will be assigned a new number for your E-Fax line, any previously used fax numbers will be forwarded to this new number and continue to work.
The E-Fax system will be setup using a new bank of numbers i.e. (312) 476-XXXX. This provides uniformity and allows Information Services the ability to distinguish between fax numbers and phone lines. On conversion to E-Fax your department will be assigned a new fax number. However, your old fax number will continue to function as it does today. We request that when you update your stationary, business cards, etc. you use the new fax number.
Can the receiving party tell whether I have faxed a document via a traditional fax machine or via E-Fax?
The receiver cannot tell whether the faxed document was sent via a fax machine or via E-Fax.
How do I create a departmental email resource?
I am unable to send a fax via my email account, how can I get this working?
Each account that will be used to send fax messages needs to be given permission to do so.
- If your department is using a shared email account to send E-Faxes, the resource email account manager in your department can add a new user, using the instructions in the document attached to this article. Instructions for doing so can be found by searching the Knowledge Base article "Email: Adding a Delegate."
- If you need a new user granted permission to send E-Faxes directly from their main DePaul email address, rather than a shared resource account, please open an incident through the DePaul Service Now Portal.
How does the fax look on the receiving end?
- The subject line of your email becomes the Subject: or Re: line of the fax cover sheet.
- The text you entered in the body of the email becomes the Comments: or Details: on the cover sheet.
- Your name, phone number, fax number, and email address will appear on the fax cover sheet.
- Any documents attached to the email will be included after the cover sheet just as if they had been faxed using a fax machine.
Is there any associated cost with moving to E-Fax?
No there is not. In fact, since E-Fax removes the need for fax machines and paper, it can actually reduce costs.
How do I dispose of my old fax machine?
In order to dispose of your old equipment you can contact salvage to arrange for equipment pickup and removal.