U-Pass: Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links:

Jump To:


I missed the U-Pass distribution dates. How do I get my U-Pass?

You may visit the Blue Demon Card Office on the same campus as your college office to pick up your U-Pass. There may be a pre-printed U-Pass for you in the ID Services Offices depending on when you registered. If the ID service office does not have a preprinted U-Pass for you then they will submit a request for a new U-pass.

Eligible students are responsible for picking up their U-Passes in person or requesting that they want their U-Pass mailed to them. The ID Services Office can mail your U-Pass to your mailing address in Campus Connect. Be sure to verify that your mailing address is up-to-date and then complete the U-Pass Mailing Request

How will I be charged?

DePaul students who meet the eligibility requirements based on course registration will be charged a quarterly U-Pass Fee on their tuition account. A CTA fee can be removed ONLY when a student’s eligibility has changed on or before the last day to drop courses. Any student meeting the requirements will be charged the fee automatically on their student tuition bill. This helps defray CTA’s costs for offering the program. If the U-Pass is not picked up, the U-Pass fee will remain on the student’s account.

Eligible students that do not need the U-Pass for the Summer term can opt out of the U-Pass by completing the U-Pass OPT Out. Eligible students must complete the form by July 18, 2023. Students that do not complete the opt-out form prior to the deadline will be charged the U-Pass fee regardless of use. Credits for the U-Pass fee will be issued be July 30, 2023. 

My U-Pass stopped working suddenly. What do I do?

If you are receiving the Insufficient Funds message, it usually is due to the card being used in the same location more than once within 15 minutes (i.e., double-tapping), or using the card when you are not eligible for the U-Pass. This causes the CTA to think that you are bringing on an additional passenger and it will charge you the fare. You will need to pay the balance on your U-Pass before it starts working again. You can pay the balance by registering your U-Pass on either the Ventra App or at www.VentraChicago.com. You can also use one of the station Kiosks. 

Check to see if you are eligible for a U-Pass and remember that waitlist classes do not count towards eligibility. If you do meet the eligibility requirements and your U-Pass has stopped working, please contact upass@depaul.edu.

I just registered for classes. Why doesn't my U-Pass work?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to link DePaul's enrollment system to the Ventra system directly. This means it can take 3-10 business days for Ventra to process the change and activate your card.

Who should I contact with questions or concerns?

If you have questions or comments concerning your U-Pass, you may send an email to upass@depaul.edu.

If my U-Pass was active last quarter, do I need a new U-Pass for the upcoming quarter?

No, your new Ventra U-Pass is good until the expiration date listed on the back of your card. You do not need to pick up a new U-Pass each quarter. Your U-Pass will be active during the quarter if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

I went to DePaul for my undergraduate degree, now I am back for a master's degree. Do I get a new U-Pass?

If your previous U-Pass has not expired, then you will have to use that U-Pass. If you have lost that U-Pass you will have to purchase a replacement U-Pass.

What if my U-Pass is lost, stolen, or damaged?

Please visit the ID Services office on the same campus as your college office to report your U-Pass lost or stolen and to request a new U-Pass. Please bring your valid DePaul Student ID with you. There is a nonrefundable $50 replacement fee (to be paid via Demon Express). Please be sure to contact ID Services or email upass@depaul.edu if place money into Demon Express. 

What if my U-Pass is defective?

Visit the either ID Services Offices to request a replacement. The CTA may need to verify the card is defective before a replacement request can be processed. For more information, please visit http://www.transitchicago.com/upass.

How often can I use my U-Pass per day?

Students can use the U-Pass as often as they want (the U-Pass cannot be used at the same station or on the same bus line for 10-15 minutes). The U-Pass allows you unlimited rides on the CTA, anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

Can I share my U-Pass?

The Ventra U-Pass card is limited to exclusive use by the full-time student whose name and photo appear on the card. Any Ventra U-Pass card presented by a person other than the student whose name and photo appear on it will be confiscated, and the person may be subject to arrest.

I drive - does the U-Pass have any benefits for me?

The U-Pass gives you an opportunity to get out of your car and:

Where can I get directions?

Get up to the minute train and bus schedules by downloading the Ventra App, which is available on the APP Store and Google Play. Get travel information and directions by calling the RTA Travel Center at 836-7000 from any area code (TTY: 312-836-4949). Operators are available daily from 5 am - 1:00 am. They can also send you a CTA System Map, Downtown Sightseeing Guide, or schedules. CTA Maps and Downtown Sightseeing Guides are also available at CTA train stations. 

What if I have a preferred name on file?

If you choose to have a preferred name on file, your U-Pass will be printed with the preferred name, instead of your legal first name. If your U-Pass was printed before you put a preferred name on file, you will have to have a new U-Pass printed. It's important that your DePaul ID and your U-Pass have the same name on them. For more information on fees associated with name changes, please visit the ID Card Office.

Can I use My U-Pass on Pace and Metra?

The unlimited rides pass on your U-Pass only covers CTA buses and trains. Currently, there is not an additional pass for METRA trains. Students can add additional money onto their U-Pass by using the Ventra App to purchase Metra tickets.

U-Pass eligible students that use PACE buses can purchase Campus Connection pass that allows unlimited rides on PACE buses. The Campus Connection pass is purchased directly from PACE, more information can be  https://www.pacebus.com/campus-connection.