DePaul Network Printers: Adding a Printer to Computer
Below are the steps for installing a network printer onto a DePaul-owned Windows computer. Please note these steps do not apply to student or personal devices; for information on connecting to the Intelliprint system, please see this article.
- Click the Start button, then Settings (the gear icon).
- Select “Devices”.
- Click "Devices and Printers" at the bottom of the window.
- Select “Add a printer”.
- Select “The printer that I want wasn’t listed”. Note that this will be at the end of a potentially long list of network printers.
- Select "Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature" and click "Next".
- Make sure you have "In: Entire Directory" selected from the drop down menu.
- Look at the network printer itself. There will be a label on it with the department abbreviation and will end in ".printers.depaul.edu" (e.g. IS-hp123a.printers.depaul.edu). Type this name into the "Name" field and click "Find Now".
- In the event the name is not coming up when you type the full name in, try typing the departmental abbreviation of the network printer in the Name field and click "Find Now". Type in the departmental abbreviation of the network printer in the Name field (this should be listed on the printer itself) and click Find Now.
- Select the correct printer name and click OK.
- You will receive confirmation that the printer has been successfully added. Click Next.
- Check the box to set this as the default printer. Select Print a test page and then click Finish.
Below are the steps for installing a network printer onto a DePaul-owned Mac computer. Please note these steps do not apply to student or personal devices; for information on connecting to the Intelliprint system, please see this article.
- Open System Preferences, and click on the Print & Scan preference to launch it.
- Click on the + symbol to add a new printer. (If needed, click on the lock icon and provide your logon admin credentials when prompted in order to make changes.)
- In the Add Printer window, click on the IP tab at the top of the window.
- Type in the full name of your printer (e.g. IS-hp123a.printers.depaul.edu) so that it is detected over the network. This information can be found on the network printer itself.
- Make sure to select the protocol LPD or HP Jet Direct.
- Click the arrows in the Use field and go to Select Software.
- Search and highlight your printer model and click OK. If you do not see your model, please click on the link in the Note below to download/install the drivers.
- You may need to select the driver for the printer, not generic drivers.
- If you do not see your printer model in the Select Software search, you will need to download and install the HP driver package found here.
- After installation, follow step 7 and proceed from there.
- When the printer name is fully typed in and detected, click the “Add” button.
- Check the box to enable each corresponding feature of your printer, and then click “OK” to continue.
- You should now see that your printer has been installed and is ready for use. You may now exit the System Preferences.